The 2021 CRBL League Championship is set to start with Wildcard Wednesday, August 4th. The #1 seed Eau Claire Cavaliers will play #4 seed Chippewa Falls LumberJacks at Casper Park, while the #2 seed Osseo Merchants will host #3 Tilden Tigers. Both games first pitch is set for 7 pm.
The winners of Wildcard Wednesday will play on Saturday, August 7th at 12:30 pm with the higher seed hosting.
2021 CRBL Championship
2021 CRBL Championship Game Facts
- It is the first time these storied franchises have faced each other in the CRBL title bout.
- The wildcard format was instituted into the CRBL in 2014. Coincidently, this is the first time since 2014 that two wildcard teams will meet in the championship game.
- Osseo was trying to become the first team since the 1969-73 Tilden Tigers to win five CRBL titles in a row.
- Osseo has won five division titles in a row (2016-2019, 2021). The Tilden Tigers hold the longest such streak, winning 9 division titles in row from 1974 to 1982.
- Tilden holds the CRBL record for most league titles with 17 as well as most league championship game appearances with 37.
- The Lumberjacks are second all-time in league titles with 7 as well as league championship appearances with 11.
- The Eau Claire Bears have claimed the most wildcard spots with a current total of 6.
- The first league championship “game” was actually a best out-of-three series that took place in 1928, the second year the CRBL functioned after an unexplained18-year hiatus (there was league play in 1908 and 1909 and then it was absent until 1927). In the 1928 series, the Eagleton Eageltons swept Eau Claire Union, 2 games to 0 games.
- In the most recent CRBL championship, Osseo prevailed over Tilden, 12 to 6 at Osseo in 2019. Catcher Todd Wienkes of Osseo was named game MVP.
- The last time the Lumberjacks’ franchise was in the CRBL championship was in 2013 when they lost 1-0 to the Whitehall Wolves at Casper Park.